Pages

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Mini Break

We've just spent a few days in New Plymouth, as it is the school holidays.  It also meant I was able to attend Aotearoa Quilters AGM and the opening of their 'Growth' exhibition.

The Growth exhibition is currently showing at the Percy Thomson Gallery, Stratford.  Its a great space, with a pleasant cafe - Sgt Peppers that served excellent coffee. 

The judges were two locals, artist John McLean and quilter Dorothy Smith.   

The quilt on the left was awarded Best in Show - 'Mother Earth' by Kathleen Burford.  The other two quilts are 'Increasingly Modern' by me and the quilt on the right is 'Algae Blooms' by Mary Transom.  

I do like the two below - these received merit awards.


'An Abundance of Gum Blossums' by Jennifer Patterson


'Darling Buds of May' by Natalie Murdoch
'Waste and Renewal' by Fyvie Murray


I just had to include a photo of Fyvie's quilt, as I've watched her creating it and its a great quilt. The circles are all sewn in - there is no applique! It was awarded a Judges Choice prize.

The lighting in the gallery just made the silk shine and also the little bits of blue in the strips just pop.





The 20 quilts that form the 'Growth' exhibition can be viewed here.

1 comment:

Charlotte Scott said...

I wish I had been able to go (and I wish I had got my quilt finished!) Love your quilt and hopefully I will get to see the travelling exhibition at some time.