Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Spring Fling

'Spring Fling' is the name of a block by Jenny Pedigo of Sew Kind of Wonderful.  Some time ago I purchased her ruler when I was keen to try and master curves.  My first block was a complete failure and I threw it out.  (this wasn't due to the ruler!! more like operator error!!!)

I've continued to follow her blog and the other day had another go, this time with her new tutorial - Spring Fling.  


The block went together quite quickly and easily - even cutting the curves and sewing them was fine.  Only once did I need to unpick one curve because when I came to trim it - it was more like a parallelogram than a square!

What I did notice (and this may have been one of the reasons for my early failure) is that the ruler and patterns are for right-handers.  I'm left handed and sometimes I found I was holding the ruler quite awkwardly.  The next time I use the ruler I'll put the pattern/pictures upside down - hopefully then it will be easier.

As I didn't have any of the orange/white fabric left and hardly any of the checked decided that this could be a Neonate quilt.  Added a couple of borders to get it upto the required 27" size.  Now to quilt it ...

Jenny has a giveaway on her blog for her new book Contemporary Curved Quilts, see here.

No comments: