Pages

Friday, September 6, 2013

Fishnets - my SAQA Auction Quilt

Welcome to the Oceania Collection Blog Hop.  Today is my turn to describe how my entry 'Fishnets' was created.

Fishnets















Starting with a piece of felt, strips of hand-dyed sari silk (from Dale Rollerson) are blanket stitched onto the felt using Perle threads (or similar).  This is a technique that I've admired in Dale's work, it gives an interesting texture.

Silk sari strips and perle thread











felting the blanket stitched strips
Sari strips after felting

Cutting into strips
Trial layout onto another piece of felt

The piece is layered onto cotton batting and backing then basted. The strips are stitched down and quilted at the same time. 











The piece is then faced.

 

facing completed

I'm the last on this blog hop, I hope you've enjoyed seeing how all these fabulous quilts have been created.  Be sure to follow the online auction here when it starts on Monday September 9th, at 2:00 Eastern.   

In addition to the online auction a selection of quilts will be auctioned at Houston International Quilt Festival at the end of October.  I'm quite excited that Fishnets will be one of those quilts.

Enjoy viewing the quilts and purchasing your favourite piece/s.

No comments: