Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Tote & Gloat

Tote & Gloat is Rose City Quilter's annual event in Palmerston North, this year it was on Saturday 4th May.  The day starts with about 2 hours of show and tell, lunch, then a speaker, this year Cindy Needham.  In the breaks there is a range of merchants to browse/shop.  

One of my stitching groups left Wellington bright and early to get there by 10am.  Two of us decided leaving at 9am-ish with a stop at Waikanae was easier.  We arrived just before midday to see the end of show and tell.  I've been a couple of times before and didn't really enjoy sitting through two hours of quilts, bags, etc.  Those quilts that have velcro attached are hung and can be viewed later.

After a spot of lunch (next year I'm definitely going out to a cafe), quilt viewing, shop browsing, catching up with friends, Cindy began her fascinating talk.  As I've been following her blog for awhile and using linen doilies, I was keen to learn more.  

At the end we got to look, touch her quilts and talk to Cindy.  Seeing her work in the flesh was great and certainly inspiring.  I'd seen photos on her blog, but seeing them for real was the best.

A snippet of one of my efforts: 


A slightly stained doily quilted on to a cotton/linen mix fabric.

With the heavy quilting the stains sort of disappear.  My feathers need a bit more work.





Some closeups of her work:








No comments: